This victoria sponge cake is perfect as an afternoon tea time treat. However, you could make it to impress friends and family, or as a birthday surprise!
For the sponge:
- 200 g (1 cup) vegan butter
- 300 g (1 cup) caster sugar
- 200 g (heaped ¾ cup) soya yoghurt
- 200ml (7/8 cup) soya milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 400g (3 cups) self-raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch Salt
For the filling:
- 250 g (2½ cups) icing sugar
- 150 g (2/3 cup) vegan butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Berry jam
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (Gas Mark 4, 350°F). Line 3 x 7.5 inch shallow cake tins.
- Cream the butter and sugar for a few minutes until really pale and fluffy with an electric mixer.
- Add the vanilla extract, soya milk and yoghurt and beat slowly to combine.
- Gently fold in the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and salt.
- Divide between the 3 tins and bake for 20–25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool.
- To make the filling, sift the icing sugar into a bowl and beat with the butter and vanilla.
- When the cakes are completely cool, add a layer of jam and butter cream on each, stack alternately.
- Optional: Then dust with a little extra icing sugar.
Per serving (214g) Calories: 720, Carbohydrates: 111.6g, Sugars: 72.4g, Fat: 28.9g, Saturates: 5.6g, Protein: 5.6g, Salt: 1.9g
Taken from August 2018 (Issue 41) Vegan Life Magazine