Wild Mushroom Risotto
- 2 tbsp vegan butter or margarine
- 225g (8oz) sliced fresh wild mushrooms
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 55ml (2oz) white cooking wine
- 200g (1 cup) Arborio rice
- 1 chopped shallot
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- In a saucepan, combine the vegetable stock cube and 645ml (2¾ cups) of warm water. Stir until completely dissolved.
- Sauté the mushrooms in a separate pan with 1 tsp olive oil, over a medium–high heat. Once cooked and slightly caramelised, add to saucepan with the vegetable broth.
- In the same pan used to cook the mushrooms, add 1 tsp olive oil and the chopped shallot and cook for 1–2 minutes.
- Stir in the rice, coating with the olive oil and shallot. After about 2 minutes, pour in the white wine, stirring constantly until fully absorbed.
- Add 120ml (½ cup) of broth to the rice and stir until absorbed.
- Continue adding broth 120ml (½ cup) at a time, stirring constantly until liquid is absorbed. This should take about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Once the risotto is tender, remove from heat and stir in mushrooms and the vegan butter. Season with salt and freshly crushed peppercorns to taste.