A fresh, healthy and green salad full of nutritious ingredients
Serves 6-8 as a starter
- 300g (1¹∕³ cup) wild rice
- 6 spring onions, trimmed
- 1 cucumber
- 1 bunch of flat leaf parsley leaves
- 1 bunch of coriander leaves
- 1 bunch of mint leaves
- 2 green chillies, trimmed
- 150g (1 cup) frozen baby garden peas, defrosted
- 100ml (¹∕³ cup + 1 tbsp) green harissa
- Grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 50g (1 cup) pea shoots, to garnish
- Bring a saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the rice, lower the heat to a simmer and cook for 20–30 minutes until the rice is tender. Drain the rice and leave to cool.
- While the rice is cooling, thinly slice the spring onions and roughly chop the cucumber and herbs. Finely chop the chillies and tip into a bowl with the chopped herbs, cucumber, spring onion slices, peas and cooled rice. Toss together with the green harissa, grated lemon rind and lemon juice, then garnish with the pea shoots and serve.
- If you would like to save time, dress this salad with lemon juice and olive oil rather than green harissa.
- To make in advance, layer all the ingredients except the lemon juice and rind on top of the rice in the serving bowl then just toss before serving, adding the lemon juice and rind at this stage. This will ensure that the colours stay vibrant.
Taken from March 2017 (Issue 24) Vegan Life Magazine
Recipes and images from : Mildreds: The Vegetarian Cookbook. Published by Mitchell Beazley, £25 Web: octopusbooks.co.uk